Monday 4 July 2011

Family

Last week was my dad's birthday and parents' wedding anniversary. These two things got me thinking ahead a few years and how I'd like aspects of my life to turn out.

Without wanting to sound like I'm bragging, wifey and I made the decision that on our day off we'd spend some time with my parents. And I also popped over to see Dad after work and give him a present during the busiest day of the week. Why?

Because if and when I have kids and they've grown up I'd kinda like them to have a relationship with me, to want to spend time with me.

I also will quite readily admit that I get it wrong on a lot of occasions and can be quite selfish. But I think the knowing this is the first step to being able to do something. Ignorance of ones own failings just leads to more pain for everyone.

I've also noticed how much effort my parents put into trying to have relationship with their wider family. They are so generous. Tis hard to see that get ignored sometimes. I hope that I turn out as gracious as them. I'm also looking fwd to when they're a hundred, me and wifey are seventy, the kids forty and their kids are ten!

No comments:

Post a Comment