Wednesday 2 September 2009

Skinny Love is Nothing Special with Almost Lover

I find myself caught up in a whirlwind of emotions and so many things going on that I have I feel like a circus performer. Just one week ago I travelled up to Preston to be an Usher at my dear friends Dan and Jenn's wedding. A wonderful, uplifting and exhausting time it was too. I somehow ended up fulfilling a certain role which quite often heads my way, organising people, making myself heard and finally public speaking. However, the travails and chastening responsibilities of being so busy were a small price to pay for the happiness of the gorgeous couple and a glorious and memorable day.

In the midst of it all there have been a few scattered moments where I have had time for quiet reflection, some good and some not so. Three songs have grabbed my ear again, much like the first time I heard them and fell in love with them instantly. I can recall still recall those moments and where I was. Skinny Love by Bon Iver was while watching tv at my sisters on new years eve a couple of years ago. Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy while watching CSI New York in my bedroom shortly after moving into the flat. And Nothing Special by David Marriott/As It Were in my parent's living room. All three have a certain honesty and melancholy that touches this romantic soul.

So since the wedding I had a crazy busy Sunday with a disappointing end, an oddly productive Monday, a very long and bizarre Tuesday, a tiring Wednesday and here I am on Thursday hoping my Dad can fix my PC, that Cyprus has good weather, that North Finchley behaves itself and that my friends are doing alright.

I also realised that over the last five years I have allowed my range of vocabulary to shrink quite considerably in efforts to be more concise (stop sniggering back there!) in certain areas of communication. This makes the creation of the written word in an eloquent form even more challenging. So if I start being more flowery than usual my apologies! And I thought I would end proceedings with one of my favourite words which shall be word of the week - malapropism.

1 comment:

  1. Just noticed that it says I wrote this yesterday (Weds) even though I posted it today (Thurs). It would appear it dates it from the moment I drafted as opposed to when I actually posted. Strange.

    ReplyDelete