Saturday 19 September 2009

Disappointed or Disappointed at being Disappointed

So last night was the most bizarre evening I have had in a long time. I had the priviledge of being my dear friend Dave's plus one at the Christian Blog Awards. His blog was up in the under 25 category (http://www.thattheologystudent.blogspot.com/) and I thoroughly recommend it.

Amusingly this thorough recommendation is completely biased, the fact is I love Dave and would read his blog if it was utter tripe, however the fact is it's actually very good. It has wit, elegant prose, honesty, sincerity, asks big important questions but isn't afraid to meander into a trivilaity. And most importantly he does it for the right reasons. Not for fame, adulation, numbers, but because he wants to write and record some of the experiences he is going through.

Now I could go off on the tangent of what is a Christian blog, in a similar way as to what is a Christian band? I stick by the truth that the only things that can be called Christian are those who profess Jesus Christ as Lord, which the last time I checked was not a blog and was not a band. For a blog and a band are the creation of people. Now the people might be Christians and thus that pervades as it should do, every aspect of their lives, but the band and the blog are not in themselves follows of Christ.

But I digress, there were some weird and wonderful characters, some mighty fine beards, some verbose speeches (back atcha bro!), free food, free wine and I was completely underdressed! Although mrs church mouse; sitting next to me did point out that I was the only person wearing a hat. And back to the "point" of this blog; disappointment, on our table a chap who finished runner up last year got nothing, shame, the church mouse won and Dave was left with "nothing". The question that came to mind at that moment was which is worse?

Being disappointed or being disappointed at being disappointed?

Am sure Dave will forgive me for sharing all this, but he had no expectation of winning, and yet there was a teeny weeny bit of hope, hope, hope, and that hope was dashed. And Dave was left disappointed, but which was it, disappointment at not winning or the disappointment of thinking one had a chance and seeing that fail. (nb Dave you're not a failure!). I too must confess to being disappointed, seeing my friend lose and not really having any words to share. Am glad I was there with him, for him, cheered him, made facetious comments and giggled inappropriately with him. I would have smelled his glove if he had one.

So last night was bizarre. We ended up sneaking off early and missed the second half of the awards, missed some nuns winning a web award! Other random things, longer queue for the mens than the womens. Going to bed at midnight but not getting to sleep until 3am (you know who you are - and I'm not complaining at all!)

I could end with some vague platitudes, but I won't. Instead I will end with the words of Paul which put a lot of perspective on a disappointing evening which really wasn't:

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. "

1 comment: