Wednesday 2 December 2009

Continuity and Inspiration in the World of Creation

This year I have written one song, back in February, so I am in a bit of a songwriting drought to put it mildly.

I am currently attempting to write a novel which is going um well it's going in a vaguely forward direction.

What I have noticed is that "inspiration" is a great thing when it comes to creative endeavours but it is impossible to maintain creating on inspiration alone. There comes a point where hard work and continuity is needed to maintain the creation. This continuity I have struggled with and thus I have found song writing this year very difficult and novelising (my new word for the creation of my story) a struggle to put it mildly.

Intrinsically there is a link to my mind at any rate between continuity and hard work in creative pursuits, and hard work is not really my forte.

To thrash out my thoughts here with an example. On Friday I was sitting on a train back to London having visited a beautiful friend down south; I used the 90 minute journey to work on the novel, I finished off one chapter and began another. I was pretty pleased with the creative exertions. However since then I have done nada, and that is the frustration. No continuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment