Wednesday 16 December 2009

I Am My Father's Son

As I lay in bed last night a thought really came home to me, I am my Father's son. For the most part I identify more with my mum than my dad. Mainly because our personalities are so similar and our shared strengths in areas such as creative and verbal pursuits. However as I lay there, head buried under duvet, I realised that I am very much like my Dad.

First point, head burying under pillow/duvet. Second point, predisposition to bright coloured shirts, ties and slightly eccentric clothes in general. Third point, consuming vast quantities of tea. Fourth point, love of a good novel. Fifth point love of staying up late talking. Sixth point, love of happy or satisfactory endings in movies. Seventh point being slightly shy.

I suspect this now means that I sometime soon I will start to watch Time Team and discover I really do love steam trains!

All joking aside, I am so very blessed to be my Father's son. I could not have asked for a better role model. If I turn into half the man he is then I will have done well because I see in him someone who is the very best. He of course would not be so vain as to say such things. And yes he does have some faults, and I probably share some of them. But his merits vast outway those. I hope that one day I can live up to the example he has set as a husband, a father, a leader, a friend and a human being. The world is a better place for men like my father, men of honesty and virtue, and I am honoured to be his son.

I probably should tell him a bit more how I appreciate him.

1 comment:

  1. It took me a while to work out this was your blog, as i wasn't really looking. But you are absolutely right about dad and the kind of man he is. I hope he reads this entry.

    ReplyDelete