Wednesday 7 October 2009

The Tension Between Lofty Ambition And Realism

While reading a dear friend's blog I was struck by the question, should one aim for mediocrity and succeed or aim for greatness and fail? In many cases the outcome is the same, but the motivation and the journey can be different.

Currently I'm slightly short on sleep so I don't have the wit to expound everything that I want to around this but in my weakness the following things stand out to me. I probably am a complete hypocrite over such things and end up hurting people close to me by making unfair demands on some and not others, by being selfish even when it appears to be generosity. Sadly I have too many examples in my own life where I have settled for mediocrity over aiming for greatness but then demanded perfection from others when I'm not willing aim for it myself.

In Romans 15 it says that we who are strong ought to bear with the failings of those who are weak and not just to please ourselves. Which in the face of striving for perfection can be difficult, but then again in another book (1 Thessalonians 5v11) it says that we should encourage each other or build one another up. Which got me thinking that we are supposed to help each other aim for something bigger and better, that the point is we help each other aim for perfection, greatness, whatever you want to call it.

So yes my thoughts are probably a bit all over the shop, but I think that perhaps I will try aiming for something a bit higher than I'm on at the moment BUT also have more realistic expectations of others and do what I can to help them be the best they can be.

Peace and love

DT

No comments:

Post a Comment